The student news site of Boyertown Area Senior High-Sponsored by Frederick Living

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

Let’s Talk Black History Month: Who is Duke Ellington?

Capitol Records
Album cover of Duke Ellington’s “The Duke Plays Ellington”

Duke Ellington was a significant figure in music history. He was a jazz musician from the 1920s-1970s and was the first black musician to go mainstream. He also created what is known as “big band jazz.” Big band jazz is a certain type of jazz with a large brass and woodwind section, with around 12-25 members in the ensemble.

Ellington started his career in his early teens. He composed his first song titled “Soda Fountain Rag” while he was working in a cafĂ©. With his band, he composed only instrumental pieces with lyrics added later by another person. Some of the songs he wrote include “Take The ‘A’ Train,” “It Don’t Mean A Thing,” and “Caravan.”

In 1959 he won 3 GRAMMY Awards for Best Performance by a Dance Band. “Mood Indigo” was inducted into the GRAMMY Hall of Fame in 1975. In 1974 the Duke Ellington School of Arts, a public high school in Washington D.C, was founded.

Duke Ellington made a huge contribution to the music world, changing jazz forever, and his name should always be remembered.