The student news site of Boyertown Area Senior High-Sponsored by Frederick Living

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

BASH Decimates Pope John Paul II Softball In Impressive 11-1 Victory

On the 8th of May BASH’s softball team played John Paul II high school, ultimately winning by 10 run rule.
Ethan Millard
Girls softball during their game against PJP II, May 8th 2024.

Boyertown’s win puts them at a 13-5 record this season and counting! Last season marks the fourteenth straight home win. This win came on the back of Senior recognition night, which had seniors on the team take a picture and have their names announced before the game, as well as posters of their accomplishments set up around the area.

After the recognitions, the game began and the first two innings were un-eventful. Though Boyertown’s pitcher started an impressive record of strikeouts leading to a record of 13 total strikeouts by the end of the game.

Tensions began to heat up at the bottom of the third, when Boyertown used a sacrifice fly after a standing double to score the first point of the game. Near the end of the inning, with two players on base, and a 3-2-2 on the board, number 7 Kyra Neiswender hit a homerun putting Boyertown up 3-0. This play did not overshadow the next, however, as the first swing from number 12, Samantha Sobek, was met with another home run. Boyertown left the third inning with a confident 5 point lead.

Senior recognition night posters hanging up at the softball game, May 8th 2024. (Ethan Millard)

In the top of the 5th John Paul II scored a single point. Boyertown remained undeterred, and after a few more impressive strikeouts by Boyertown’s pitcher, Boyertown had made it to the bottom of the fifth loaded the bases in the bottom of the 5th. Number 22 Lauren Homa was able to hit a ground ball and score a point for Boyertown leaving us at 6.

At the bottom of the sixth, and spoiler, the last inning, Boyertown had an impressive start. Boyertown scored 2 runs one by Kailyn Lawless and the other Lindsay Mathias, and had now put two players on base. With an amazing and game winning swing Senior Lauren Homa hit a home run and let Boyertown finish Senior recognition with a bang.

Congratulations too all the seniors for a great end to the night. We wish them all well in their future endeavors.