The student news site of Boyertown Area Senior High-Sponsored by Frederick Living

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

Boyertown takes an L to Exeter, but Bear fan support is undeterred

Boyertown lost to Exeter at their first home game of the season, on Friday, September 1st, 2023.
John Loos
Boyertown’s first home game of the season, September 1st, 2023.

The Boyertown Bears lost to the Exeter Eagles 36-14 at Friday’s home game. In celebration of Labor Day weekend, many people showed up dressed in red, white, and blue. This was Boyertown’s first home game of the season and the people were thrilled.

The game started off well, when Gehris and Oaks landed a 57 yard pass. Then an interception by Parker put Boyertown at the Exeter 30 yard line towards the beginning of the second quarter.

Afterwards, Gehris threw Daddario a 29 yard pass towards the one yard line and Yesavage ran the rest of the way causing the score to be 14-0, in Boyertown’s favor. 

The game started to take a turn during the rest of the second quarter when the Bears had a 4 yard loss on a running play after two penalties. At the end of the second quarter, the Bears had a long drive, but ended up missing a 48 yard field goal.

Boyertown’s football coach, Justin Konnick said “I think we’re a good football team. We have to mature. They have to understand things can go wrong. We can’t give up the big inning and we gave up the big inning.” 

For the second half of the game, the Eagles seized control. They managed to win the game. Matt Bauer, head coach of the Eagles, said “We stopped worrying about things we couldn’t control, we played within ourselves and executed.”

Even though Boyertown lost, the game was still enjoyable and was definitely worth coming to see. We hope the Bears can pull through with the win next week!

Next week the bears will play the Governor Mifflin Mustangs, at an away game on Friday, September 8th. The game is at Governor Mifflin High School, in Shillington Pa. The next home game will be on September 22nd against Spring Ford. Tickets for this game can be bought here.