BASH Cub

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Girls Basketball Looks Forward

The team is reorganizing after losing a lot of key players from last year's state championship team.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls Basketball Looks Forward

The girls basketball team played at a tournament in Washington D.C., where they lost both games.

Despite losing some important seniors from last state championship team, including Miss PA Basketball Abby Kapp, the girls basketball team is looking forward and hoping for another strong season.

“It is a new year and we are focused on this season and not the past,” Senior Tori Bolton said.

Only two of last year’s five starters are left, and the team has lost its first four games (two of which were conference games). The team is still figuring out how to reorganize itself.

“We will work together as a team and try and find the right person to fill the roles of the players we lost,” Bolton said, “although whoever takes their places will most likely not be as talented just yet.”

Two of the team’s losses came in Washington, D.C., where the team traveled to compete in an elite invitational tournament against some of the best teams in the country. The Lady Bears showed heart in these tough losses, and showed several aspects of their game that they hope to bring the rest of the season.

“We shared the ball well and definitely learned a lot that can carry into our games throughout the season,” Senior Kylie Webb said.

The team also understands that chemistry is a vital role in winning, and the trip has given way for the team to come together with the rest of the season waiting ahead of the team.

“Getting the team bonding in and other team activities are really important to us in order to make us close throughout the season,” Kylie said.

Senior Brynn Schmidt agreed that the tough tournament helped the team see what it needs to work on. “We want to be consistent and bring the energy all the time because we have the ability if we try hard enough.”

But it is not just the players who understand what is needed to improve. The coaches have a high goal for this team the rest of the season.

We will have many new faces on the court this year, but our expectations are the same every year, win our league and qualify for the state tournament,” Coach Jason Bieber said. “The league will be very competitive this year with a slight edge to both Spring-Ford and Perkiomen Valley.”

The team has one ultimate goal following its early games. Grow.

“We hope to learn for our mistakes and grow on the things we can to improve all together and be a better team,” Kylie said. “I think we can win another championship, but we will have to have a couple of players step up and help us go all the way as we lost a couple big name seniors over the offseason.”

Even though they’re looking ahead, the team will look back Thursday by honoring the 2017 PIAA Class 6A State Champion Lady Bears Girls Basketball team during the team’s 6:45 league game against Owen J Roberts.

The entire team will be back together for this special night, which also will honor Kapp for winning Ms. PA basketball.

“We want to show our appreciation by having the gym packed with fans for this special night,” Coach Bieber said in a school announcement.

Greg Hall, Staff Writer

Greg Hall is a 9th grader in the Journalism class. He enjoys playing football and watching sports with friends in free time. Hopes to be a professional...

Joe Corcoran, Staff Writer

Joe Corcoran is from Gilbertsville, Pa. Joe is a Junior at BASH and this is his third year with BASH Cub. He plays on the school tennis team and outside...