The student news site of Boyertown Area Senior High-Sponsored by Frederick Living

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

Senior Spotlight: Gabriela Martin, Aiming For The Stars

Dawn Engler
Gabriela poses for a photo taken by her friend, Dawn Engler.

Gabriela Martin is a Senior at BASH and a member of a multitude of organizations including Youth Advisory Board, Green Cord, Student Council, Youth and Government, and National Honors Society.

Throughout her time at BASH, Gabriela shifted from a very heavy math focus to a more history focused path, taking multiple honors and AP history courses. “[I plan to] Study political science at George Washington university, though I’m not sure what’s after.” She is very interested in the humanitarian aspects of government. “My dream job is working with the United Nations.”

In the beginning, Gabriela wanted to get involved and was directed by the counseling office to the Youth Advisory Board. “The counseling office directed me to the youth advisory board which is apart of youth volunteer corps for reading, and that was the main organization. I’ve been doing it every year for the past three years.”

Gabriela helped with multiple projects including one where students would distribute money to organizations that dealt with homelessness in youth. She also helped make homeless backpacks that contained a variety of toiletries that would be distributed to the homeless.

Gabriela said her favorite of all the organizations was Youth and Government, she especially enjoyed the yearly trip to Harrisburg where students get to “take over the capital,” and pass mock laws, “I love getting to see and live where the representatives do.”

“Get involved,” Gabriela said, when asked what advice she’d give to other students, “The experience really guides you into what you want to pursue.”

When asked about her advice to other BASH students, Gabriela urged students to “Get involved” “The experience really guides you into what you want to pursue”

Gabriela concluded the interview by reflecting on how BASH showed her how to be a public speaker and to be, “much more confident in my abilities.”

BASH and The Cub give thanks to Gabriela for her work in the district, and hope she is able to accomplish her goals for the future.

View Comments (1)