The student news site of Boyertown Area Senior High-Sponsored by Frederick Living

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

Letter from the Editor: John Loos

WJMC volunteer
Mrs. Schaarschmidt, Emma Webster, and I at the Washington Journalism and Media conference, July 2023.

At the end of my 8th grade year, I decided to sign up for a class called Journalism I. At the time, I didn’t really know what it entailed, I just knew none of the other electives appealed to me.

Looking back that was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I had no idea where it would lead me, but I knew journalism was where I wanted to be.

Since joining, I’ve been able to improve my writing, communication, and analytical thinking. It’s put me in unique situations that, without journalism, I wouldn’t get to experience.

Last July I had the opportunity to go attend the Washington Journalism and Media conference (WJMC) with my advisor, Mrs. Schaarschmidt, and fellow Cub writer, Emma Webster, in Washington D.C. I got to interact with other student journalists from all across the country, listen to speakers who are well developed in the field, participate in newsroom simulations, and make long lasting friendships. That experience opened my eyes to what the field is all about and what a college experience is like. 

Having the opportunity to attend WJMC, along with experiencing football games, basket ball games, senior recognition nights, plays, and many interviews with interesting people, is just the surface of what the Cub has introduced me to. Without the Cub, I wouldn’t have been as active or interested in what’s going on around BASH.

I would like to thank the editors from Journalism: Ethan Millard, Kayla Jomarron, and Emma Webster. Without their constant help, upkeep, and work ethic, the Cub wouldn’t be where it is today. I’d also like to thank Mrs. Schaarschmidt for always being a place of support, leadership, and guidance. 

I hope everyone has a fun, safe, and relaxing summer. I can’t wait to be back next year!

-John

View Comments (1)