The student news site of Boyertown Area Senior High-Sponsored by Frederick Living

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

PFEW: A great opportunity for BASH students

Julia Duncan
Photo from PFEW 2023 during a motivational speaker.

Pennsylvania Free Enterprise Week (PFEW) is a great opportunity for BASH students, especially those interested in economics or business, to consider for the summer. PFEW is a student conference, held at a college, with students from all across the state coming together to learn and grow. 

Their official website says that “PFEW is an exciting summer education program where you’ll explore modern business and your future! By running your own company with students from all over the state, you’ll gain invaluable knowledge, relevant skills, powerful tools and discover how your talents translate into great careers.”

BASH’s very own Julia Duncan attended this camp during summer 2023, before the start of her senior year. She highly recommends this experience for BASH students.

The dates for PFEW 2024 are June 30th through July 5th, July 7th through 12th, July 21 through 26th, and July 28th through August 2nd. Applications can be submitted here. Tuition includes “being able to stay at the dorm for 5 days, all 3 meals, a T-shirt, and motivational speaker.” Julia relays.

The camp includes hands-on learning with finance and advertising, each including their own subcategories and presentations. 

Julia’s team won “top company” during her week in 2023, meaning that her team got the most points out of everyone there. She was the CEO, or leader, of her team during the competition. 

“With [PFEW] you can get awards, references, something to put on your resume, and you get good leadership, communication, and business experience. As well as being able to live at a college” Julia said.

Picture of Junk night 2023, Julia’s group member in his “suit of armor” for the apocalypse. (Julia Duncan)

Julia said that her favorite thing about the camp was the first night, called junk night. Where each team has to pick up “junk” and try to make a product/commercial for it. “My team had no idea what we were doing, we picked up a bunch of random things and I ended up making a body suit for the apocalypse”

This experience is great for this considering taking economics courses at BASH. “In the beginning of the year I was ahead of my class because I knew so many terms.” “Economics, especially microeconomics, it is so important to know your own finances and business finances” she said.

Upon graduation from BASH, Julia plans to go to college and get a degree in food science. Even though she’s not majoring in business, “It was still very fun and I met so many people and I learned so many things that are going to be helpful for my future.”

If you’d like to speak with Julia specifically about her experience, she can be emailed at [email protected]. The student information flyer can be found here and outside guidance. There’s also been multiple emails sent out my Mrs. Mazzie, if you’re looking for more information.