The student news site of Boyertown Area Senior High-Sponsored by Frederick Living

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

Taylor Swift brings her fame to the box office

billboard.com
Taylor Swift in her Oscar De La Renta dress attending the Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour at AMC theater in Los Angeles California

On August 31, 2023 the nation-wide known popstar, Taylor Swift, announced she would be releasing a movie, Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour, in light of her eras tour that had started on March 17, 2023.

The superstar’s concert film arrived in theaters October, 12, pulling massive crowds for the opening weekend. AMC theaters ticket sales show the movie brought in $92.8 million in ticket sales over the three-day debut period and the previews from Thursday night. Making the movie the fifth-biggest opening of any theatrical release this year.

The movie played across 3,855 cinemas nationwide, the movie earned $37.5 million on Friday October 13, $32 million on Saturday and $23.2 on Sunday. The movie is now number one at the box office in the U.S., Canada, UK, Mexico, Australia, Germany and the Philippines.

The film was originally set to be release on October 13 but Swift announced at the premiere event in Los Angeles, California on Wednesday that it would be hitting theaters one day earlier. On Thursday night alone, the film brought in $2.8 million.

The earlier release also broke a box office record in concert film genre. Since Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour opened at $92.8 million it became the highest-grossing concert film of all time over just the opening weekend. The film surpassed Justin Biebers 2011 documentary, which earned $73 million domestically through its box office run.

Swift herself celebrated the release of her movie at the Grove’s AMC theater in L.A. Wednesday. She stepped out in a blue Oscar De La Renta gown made of textural floral cutouts.

It is unclear how long the nearly three-hour film will be in theaters, although AMC will be currently selling tickets through November 5, 2023.