The student news site of Boyertown Area Senior High-Sponsored by Frederick Living

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

Exclusive Look: BASH takes girl’s track team to states

Krystal Glennon
Names (left to right): Eva Montanye, Taylor Rosen, Marissa Hillegas, Katie Macoluso, Harper Glennon, Elizabeth Biehl, and Amelia Maylath. In front of Penn State’s outdoor track after the pre-meet workout.

This past weekend, BASH’s girl’s winter track team sent a 4×200 relay, 4×400 relay, and a 60 meter sprint qualifier to states. The 4×200 included Harper Glennon, Taylor Rosen, Marisa Hillegas and Katie Macaluso.

The 4×400 had Glennon, Rosen, Elizabeth Biehl and Eva Montanye. Harper Glennon also competed in the 60 meter dash. The state’s weekend was filled with anticipation and preparation, while also enjoying the time spent with the teammates and coaches.

Saturday February 24th:

10:52am- Pre-states photos and arrival at school

Before a long bus ride up to Penn State, the track runners arrived at the high school to meet up and get ready for an over 3 hour bus ride. This included getting photos and loading into the van.

1:30pm- Pit stop at Sheetz

“Food is Fuel” is a famous motto athletes love to use. The girls got lunches and snacks at the iconic gas station, and fueled up for the weekend ahead.

2:25pm- Meet Check-in and Hotel Rooms

All athletes competing at states must arrive at the Courtyard by Marriott hotel to check-in and get the athletes racing bibs. BASH’s girls were also able to secure hotel rooms at this hotel for easy convenience. 

3:06pm- Pre-meet workout

The team went to Penn State’s outdoor track to prepare for their races ahead of them. The team followed their regular competition warmup and practiced their hand-offs for the big meet.

3:58pm- Visiting Penn State’s Lion

Names (left to right, back row): Marissa Hillegas, Katie Macoluso, Taylor Rosen, Harper Glennon, Eva Montanye (Front row- left to right): Amelia Maylath, Elizabeth Biehl Girls in-front of the Penn State Lion on Saturday. (Krystal Glennon)

The girls did not miss the opportunity to meet with the Penn State Lion, the team’s tradition. They made sure to take photos with it for good luck, even if it meant skipping in front of a long line of young gymnasts.

5:01pm- Dinner at Hoss’s Steak and Seahouse

BASH’s team and athletes’ families enjoyed a filling dinner and enjoyed each other’s company at Hoss’s. Endless rounds of charades were played, plates of steak were emptied, and excitement for the next day was in the air.

7:27pm- Uniform check

Some things must be perfect, especially for athletes. The girls pinned their bibs onto their uniforms to make them look perfect. They set their uniforms out to be ready for Sunday. They also made sure to put out their alternate uniforms in case of any casualties. 

7:39pm- Relax and Unwind

To take off the stress of the next day, the girls had time to just relax and have fun. Some girls played card games, some binge-watched Bob’s Burger’s, some even used recovery tools like massage guns and rollers to relax their muscles. The night was meant to just have fun, which to some girls meant standing on their hotel balcony in 20 degree weather, but whatever works.

9:30-11pm- Lights Out

Staying on top of a sleep schedule is very important, especially for people who train and workout everyday. So lights out for certain girls can vary greatly, which means girls went to bed at varied times, yet still making sure to get a good night’s rest.

Sunday, February 25th… The day of the State’s meet

8:00am- Wake up

Waking up isn’t as easy as it sounds, which is good since most of the girls had plenty of time to relax that morning. While Glennon was getting ready for her 60 meter race, the rest of the team enjoyed extra time slumbering in bed, and getting changed to go down for breakfast and even watching more TV- making sure not to expend more energy than was necessary.

9:06am- Breakfast

“Make sure you eat a Hearty breakfast,” an important quote from Coach Tyler. Carbs and protein are the best fuel for a workout or race. The girls enjoyed French toast and oatmeal in the hotel’s cozy cafe and discussed the day ahead.

9:48am- Get ready

The girls were still trying to expend as little energy as possible, especially with the growing nerves. Yet they had to get ready- some found a nap useful, and some decided to roll out once more. They made sure to do their makeup, their hair, and get dressed into their uniforms. Music of all kinds was played to keep the excitement up with Taylor Swift, country, rock, or early 2000’s beats.

11:39am- Glennon’s 60 meter race

The team was packed and ready to leave the hotel, but not without watching Glennon’s 60 meter sprint. Glennon had been preparing herself at Penn State all morning for her 60 meter sprint. The girls huddled around their phones to cheer for Glennon as she placed 14th in the state. In past years, this time would have placed her in between 6th and 8th in the state.

12:22pm- In the athlete’s Hallway

The rest of BASH’s team entered Penn State’s athlete hallway to meet Glennon and the coaches in the indoor track facility. Shortly the girl’s 4×2 would be warming up for their race, but until then, the girls prepped themselves and watched the remarkable races taking place. 

2:04pm- Warm-ups 

The girl’s 4×200 relay started to prepare for their races, following their normal competition warmup, and spiking up. Soon the girls 4×400 would also be warming up since the 4×200 and 4×400 meter relays were very close together.

2:57pm- 4×200 relay race

Going into this race the team ranked 7th in the state. With minor difficulties, the team ended in 11th place, within a second of the top 5 teams.

3:47pm- 4×400 relay race

Entering this race the relay was ranked 8th. With issues going into this race, the girls had to switch the order of the relay, with some additional issues occurring throughout the race. The girls still tried their best, but placed 18th. Their seed time still stands at 11th in Pennsylvania. 

4:11pm- Heading home

After the races, the team had been upset, disappointed with not earning a state medal this season. Yet, they knew the work they would put in to get a state medal the next time.

7:23pm- Red Robin

The team and coaches had a lot to celebrate from the season, even if the races didn’t go as planned. The team enjoyed a final meal together to end the weekend and to enjoy what they have accomplished.

9:32pm- Back at BASH

After an exciting weekend, the girls were ready to be home and rest up. The girls 4×400 meter team would soon be prepping for indoor nationals.

These girls have had to qualify for these events throughout the season, which only the state’s best qualify for this meet. Out of the thousands of teams and competitors in Pennsylvania, these girls were fortunate enough to enter into this meet, and were extremely grateful for this experience.