The student news site of Boyertown Area Senior High-Sponsored by Frederick Living

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

Senior Spotlight on Cally Amerman: “Here Comes the Bride” before “Pomp and Circumstance”

Boyertown senior ties the knot with 2023 alumnus Noah Wasniewski before graduation day.
Cally Amerman
This photo shows Cally Amerman and Noah Wasniewski on the 26th of January, the day he proposed to her.

Cally Amerman, a senior at Boyertown Area High School, has embarked on an unconventional path by getting married before graduation day which is scheduled for May 30, 2024. Cally, who has a job at a daycare, and her new spouse, who is enlisted in the Navy, have defied traditional norms for getting hitched as marriage for those in the 18-24 age range is on the decline. 

Noah proposed to Cally on January 26, 2024. Later that spring, on April 3, they were officially married.

As a senior at Boyertown, Cally was asked how being married affected her life. In response, she said she experienced a great deal of questions from friends and peers, but otherwise her life has not changed much yet.

Noah, Cally’s husband, is stationed in Norfolk, Virginia; they recently rented an apartment at Marina Point, Virginia Beach, which is close to that location. They will be settled in and ready to start their new life by the first week of June.

Cally and her now-husband, who have been dating for more than a year, decided it would be the most responsible choice, considering that he is in the Navy. She said that his enlistment impacted this decision because, now that they are married, their future together will benefit more.

Cally spoke on her reaction to her husband enlisting in the Navy, saying, “I am not particularly happy about it, but because it is his goal, I have no [intention] to stop him, nor do I want to,” Cally remarked.

Cally reported that they didn’t have a formal wedding—rather, they were married in a courtroom. Since it was just the two of them in the courthouse, she added that they intend to have a larger ceremony at a time when they can afford to have it done the way they want.

“We intend to have an official wedding with family and friends, just as soon as we are not broke,” Cally said.

When asked if her mom and other closest relatives had been invited, Cally responded, “No, it had to be in Virginia since that is where he is situated, so we got married and then we got KFC.”

Although Cally and her husband’s actions were bold, they did not let criticism or a lack of support from others their age cause them to doubt their choice.

Cally’s mom, Jodi Amerman, expressed that she did have some concerns, but was pleased to have raised a level-headed daughter who wasn’t afraid to discuss her choice with her family ahead of time.

“I’m sure my concerns are/were the same as what you would expect from any parent. I’m fortunate to have the relationship I have with my daughter. Some kids elope secretly, and some keep things from their parents. I feel fortunate she came to me and was honest. I was able to gather my thoughts and my life experiences to give her the best advice and guidance I possibly could. At the end of the day, both of them are [legal] young adults, able to make their own life choices. As parents, you have to deal with situations and guide them the best you can.”

According to Vital Health and Statistics, in 1950 31% of all women ages 18-19 were married. According to a study posted by the National Center for Family and Marriage Research, in 2021, only 8% of women between the ages of 18-24 were married.