The student news site of Boyertown Area Senior High-Sponsored by Frederick Living

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

Advice for the future freshman coming to BASH!

Sometimes it’s hard to transition from a school you’ve known for 3 years to one with brand new people and a brand new environment.
Kayla Jomarron
These are two freshmen that go to Boyertown Area Senior High!

Here at Boyertown Area Senior High, we want to create the friendliest environment for our upcoming freshmen. At the end of their eighth-grade year, they will be given a tour of the high school by current high schoolers, known as link crew leaders.

Link Crew leaders are juniors and seniors who will guide and help freshmen throughout their freshman year! They have team-building activities and, most likely, a group chat to communicate with their freshman or for the freshman to contact them whenever.

During your freshman year of high school, you have a lot to learn, but Christopher Brown, a senior at Boyertown, has some advice, “You have to make sure you get all your work done because as long as you do that, you should be fine; if not, you have a low chance of passing, and you don’t want to be a super freshman.”

Doing your work is the best advice anyone could give, especially if you want to pass; however, when asking, everyone had that same answer except one person.

Mr. Mauer works with freshmen the most; he deals with AP and gifted classes, but he’s also the disciplinarian for freshmen. He also works in the ISS room; at certain points, his quote was a little more realistic.

“Here’s the thing I see working with 9th-grade discipline When 9th graders come to high school, it’s bigger; there’s more opportunity to get sucked into misbehavior. A lot of 9th graders throw away 9th grade without realizing it while they’re doing it. But they cut class, they hide, they get into some trouble, and they end up failing everything. And then we have these what we call super sophomores, who, in 10th grade, kind of do it again; they’ll pass a couple of classes with 59%, then 11th grade comes around and juniors are allowed to leave campus for lunch, then we start talking about Disney and graduation. and kids go, ‘Wait, I’m not going to Disney? I can’t leave campus for lunch. I’m in a 10th-grade homeroom. I’m not going to graduate.'”

He then continued, “Then I saw them wake up. There are so many kids every year. I’ve been here for a long time, and 9th graders just come in and screw around, ‘It’s fun, it’s big’, and there are just too many places to hide. And they throw it away. Don’t make it harder than it has to be; it’s an opportunity; it’s for you’re future.”

That being said, the best thing you can do is focus on school and yourself. At the end of the day, this is for you, not for anyone else.