Students Share Stories from Super Bowl Parade


Sophomore Sarah Freed’s Snapchat post showing her view of the Eagles’ bus during the Super Bowl Parade. She was among over 2.5 million people who came out to celebrate.

Philadelphia hosted its first ever Super Bowl Championship parade Thursday for the Eagles historic win over the New England Patriots, and many Boyertown students were there to witness the historic celebration.

The 4.8 mile-long parade began around 11 a.m. at Lincoln Financial Field, traveling mainly along Broad Street, and ending at the Art Museum’s famous Rocky steps.

“[Eagles’ safety] Malcolm Jenkins stood right in front of me, popped a bottle of champagne, and sprayed it all over the crowd,” Senior Drew King said. “That was the best moment for me.”

Junior Holden O’Donnell arrived at the Norristown Septa train station around 3 a.m. to get to the parade. He said it was packed, with him and his friends not able to get on a train until 5 a.m.

“I have never seen so many people screaming their heads off at 3 a.m.,” he said.

Once he got to Philadelphia, he was able to get a great spot on the Ben Franklin Parkway to watch for the Eagles’ open air bus.

“The Philly fans really showed out during the parade,” he said. “Millions of fans from all over came, and it was a madhouse.”

Sophomore Casey Tremblay, who got a car ride to the city from a friend’s mom, said the traffic was oddly light. “Everyone was taking the train,” she said.

She found a spot at the Philadelphia Art Museum around 9 a.m. to wait five hours for the Eagles bus to make it to the end of the parade. Tremblay said she was close to the action, but a Dunkin Donuts bus prevented her from having a totally clear view.

“All of my friends and I were standing along the fence of the art museum screaming ‘Move that bus!’,” she said

The atmosphere was fun but crazy, she said. “Three drunk college kids started to throw their full beers at the truck.”

Sophomore Casey Tremblay walks with the crowd around 9 a.m. to grab a spot in near the Philadelphia Art Museum.

Freshman Ashley Bullock also said she witnessed a lot of happy chaos.

“Watching all the crazy people try to climb the telephone poles was so funny,” she said. “One guy tried to climb a tree and it almost snapped.”

Freshmen Connor McNeil and Zach Davis took a Septa train down to the game, among those who bought a ticket days before the parade because only a limited amount were sold.

“It took forever to get down there; we had to wait in a line all the way to Chinatown,” Connor said, “but in the end it was all worth it to be there and root for your team.”

Zach agreed that it was worth the wait. “It was like we were on the top of the world and it felt amazing to be there, despite how long it took for it.”

Those who did not attend the parade and came to school found the halls empty. While Boyertown did not close school like Philadelphia and some other school districts, absences for going to the parade were excused. Many teachers reported classes half full, if that.

“School was a dead-zone yesterday,” Junior Olivia Schoenly said. “It was nice to be in the hallways; there was an average of 8-10 students in each of my classes.”

For those who braved the parade — despite the cold, the crowds, and the hassle — the trip seemed well worth it, with students Snapchatting and returning to school the next day with exciting stories.

One memory was hearing Quarterback Nick Foles live, who told the crowd how happy he was to finally give the fans something to celebrate: “To be a part of the Philadelphia Eagles, to be a part of these guys, is one of the greatest things I’ve ever done in my life. It’s an honor for us to bring you all a Super Bowl.”

0 0 votes
Article Rating