AP Changes: Break Down of Each Test

College Board, the leading authority for college prep tests such as Advanced Placement courses and SAT testing, has announced changes to this years AP exams due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

College Board

College Board, the leading authority for college prep tests such as Advanced Placement courses and SAT testing, has announced changes to this year’s AP exams due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Jocelyn Lear, Editor-in-Chief

College Board recently announced some changes to the AP tests this year, making early statements that tests would be 45-minutes long and only free response, in addition to being online. Today, College Board released more details that introduce specifics for each test.

Two separate dates for the online AP tests will be available to students, as well as free AP test cancellations; typically, they cost $40 to cancel.

“Some students may want to take the exam sooner rather than later, while the content is still fresh. Other students may want more time to practice,” Trevor Packer, the Senior Vice President for AP and Instruction, said.

Below is a breakdown for each AP course that BASH has currently running — some are missing as they did not meet requirements to run this year, such as Physics C that did not meet the amount of students required. The courses that did not run this year are Physics C, AP Computer Science, AP Studio Art, and AP Music Theory.

AP Biology

AP Bio will be focusing entirely on Units 1-6, which include the following subject material: Chemistry of Life; Cell Structure and Function; Cellular Energetics; Cell Communication and Cell Cycle; Hereditary; and Gene Expression and Regulation. Units 7 and 8 will NOT be in the exam. Exam dates are May 18 at 2:00 p.m. EST or June 3 at 4:00 p.m. EST.

There will be two questions for the exam. Question 1 will have 25 minutes to complete it, named “Interpreting and Evaluating Experimental Results.” There are four parts to Question 1. After 5 minutes to upload answers, Question 2 will be given 15 minutes to be completed, titled “Conceptual Analysis.” There are four parts to Question 2. Question 1 comprises 65% of the score, while Question 2 is 35%.

College Board prep materials can be found on MyAP as well as here.

AP Calculus – AB

AP Calc AB will be covering Units 1-7, which are the following topics: Limits and Continuity; Differentiation: Definition and Basic Derivative Rules; Differentiation: Composite, Implicit, and Inverse Functions; Contextual Applications of Differentiation; Analytical Applications of Differentiation; Integration and Accumulation of Change; and Differential Equations. Unit 8 will NOT be covered in the exam. Exam dates are May 12 at 2:00 p.m. EST or June 1 at 4:00 p.m. EST.

There will be two questions. Question 1 will be allotted 25 minutes to complete, and Question 2 will have 15 minutes. Question 1 is worth 60% of the score, and 2 is worth 40%. Both will cover two or more units and topics.

AP Calculus – BC

The AP Calc BC exam will cover Units 1-8, as well as 5 topics in Unit 10, which include the following: Limits and Continuity; Differentiation: Definition and Basic Derivative Rules; Differentiation: Composite, Implicit, and Inverse Functions; Contextual Applications of Differentiation; Analytical Applications of Differentiation; Integration and Accumulation of Change; Differential Equations; Applications of Integration; Working with Geometric Series; Harmonic Series and p-Series; Alternating Series Test for Convergence; Ratio Test for Convergence; and Finding Taylor Polynomial Approximations of Functions. Unit 9 as well as the remainder of Unit 10 will NOT be covered in the exam. Exam dates are May 12 at 2:00 p.m. EST or June 1 at 4:00 p.m. EST.

AP Chemistry

AP Chem will cover Units 1-7, which are the following topics: Atomic Structure and Properties; Molecular and Ionic Compound Structure and Properties; Intermolecular Forces and Properties; Chemical Reactions; Kinetics; Thermodynamics; and Equilibrium. Units 8 and 9 will NOT be on the exam. Exam dates are May 14 at 2:00 p.m. EST or June 2 at 4:00 p.m. EST.

There will be 2 questions. Question 1 will have 25 minutes to complete it, and Question 2 will have 15 minutes. Question 1 is 60% of the score, and 2 is 40%. Both questions will test on students’ ability to “explain chemical phenomena” using  a variety of ways, “draw conclusions from experimental results” as well as identifying and explaining procedures, “analyze a system with quantitative reasoning,” and to support any claims with evidence.

AP Economics

The Micro exam will cover Units 1-5, which include the following topics: Basic Economic Concepts; Supply and Demand; Production, Cost, and the Perfect Competition Model; Imperfect Competition; and Factor Markets. Unit 6 will NOT be covered. Exam dates are May 20 at 4:00 p.m. EST or June 4 at 2:00 p.m. EST.

The exam will have 2 questions. Question 1 will be given 25 minutes to complete, with 2 short free-response questions. Question 2 will be given 15 minutes to complete, with one long free-response question. Question 1 is worth 55% of the score while Question 2 is worth 45%.

Macro will cover Units 1-5, including the following: Basic Economic Concepts; Economic Indicators and the Business Cycle; National Income and Price Determination; Financial Sector; and Long-Run Consequences of Stabilization Policies. Unit 6 will NOT be on the exam. Exam dates are May 21 at 4:00 p.m. EST or June 5 at 12:00 p.m. EST.

Exam details are the same as Micro (see above).

College Board prep materials can be found on MyAP as well as here (Micro) and here (Macro).

AP Environmental Science

Environment Science will cover Units 1-7, including the following topics: The Living World: Ecosystems; The Living UNIT World: Biodiversity; Populations; Earth Systems and Resources; Land and Water Use; Energy Resources and Consumption; and Atmospheric Pollution. Units 8 and 9 are NOT on the exam. Exam dates are May 18 at 4:00 p.m. EST or June 3 at 2:00 p.m. EST.

The exam will have two questions. Question 1, titled “Design an Investigation,” will be given 25 minutes to complete. Question 2 will have 15 minutes to complete and is named “Analyze an Environmental Problem and Propose a Solution.”  Question 1 is worth 60% of the score, while 2 is worth 40%.

AP European History

AP Euro will be on Units 1-7, which includes the following: Renaissance and Exploration; Age of Reformation; Absolutism and Constitutionalism; Scientific, Philosophical, and Political Developments; Conflict, Crisis, and Reaction in the Late 18th Century; Industrialization and Its Effects; and 19th-Century Perspectives and Political Developments. Units 8 and 9 will NOT be on the exam. Exam dates are May 13 at 4:00 p.m. EST or June 2 at 2:00 p.m. EST.

The exam will be comprised of one question. Question 1 will be a DBQ including 5 documents, with the requirement to use at least 4. It is worth 100% of the score.

AP Language & Composition

AP Lang’s exam will cover Units 1-7, which covers some of the following topics: identify components of a rhetorical situation; identify and explaining claims in an argument; develop a paragraph with a claim and supporting evidence; explain how an argument can both represent a group’s beliefs or values and also affect a group’s beliefs or values; identify, describe, and develop the thesis of an argument; identify and develop claims within an argument; describe and develop a line of reasoning; explain how organization of an argument affects its impact; explain how language contributes to the text; strategically use language in arguments; qualify a claim; and communicate clearly and effectively. Units 8 and 9 will NOT be on the exam. Exam dates are May 20 at 2:00 p.m. EST or June 4 at 12:00 p.m. EST.

The exam will comprise of one question. Question 1 will be a Rhetorical Analysis on a given nonfiction prose of approx. 600 – 800 words, with 45 minutes to complete it. Students will analyze the writer’s rhetorical choices in an essay. It is worth 100% of the score.

AP Literature & Composition

The AP Lit exam will cover Units 1-7, which include some of the following topics: Short Fiction I; Poetry I; Longer Fiction or Drama I; Short Fiction II; Poetry II; Longer Fiction or Drama II; and Short Fiction III. Units 8 and 9 will NOT be on the exam. Exam dates are May 13 at 2:00 p.m. EST or June 2 at 12:00 p.m. EST.

The exam will have one question. Question 1 will be a Prose Fiction Analysis on a given passage of approx. 500 – 700 words with 45 minutes to complete it. Students must “respond to the prompt with a thesis that presents a defensible interpretation.” It will account for 100% of the score.

AP Physics 1

AP Physics will be on Units 1-7, including the following: Kinematics; Dynamics; Circular Motion and Gravitation; Energy; Momentum; Simple Harmonic Motion; and Torque and Rotational Motion. Units 8-10 will NOT be on the exam. Exam dates are May 14 at 4:00 p.m. EST or June 2 at 2:00 p.m. EST.

The exam will be made up of two questions. Question 1, titled “Qualitative/Quantitative Translation,” will have 25 minutes to complete it. Question 2 will have 15 minutes to complete, and will be a “Paragraph Argument Short Answer.” Question 1 is worth 60% of the score, and 2 is worth 40%.

AP Psychology

The AP Psych exam will cover Units 1-7, which are the following topics: Scientific Foundations of Psychology; Biological Bases of Behavior; Sensation and Perception; Learning; Cognitive Psychology; Developmental Psychology; and Motivation, Emotion, and Personality. Units 8 and 9 will NOT be on the exam. Exam dates are May 19 at 2:00 p.m. EST or June 4 at 4:00 p.m. EST.

The exam will have two questions. Question 1 will be focused on concept application in regards to explaining behavior and applying theories and perspectives with 25 minutes to complete. Question 2 will have 15 minutes to complete and will be on analyzing psychological research. Question 1 will be worth 55% of the score, and 2 will be 45%.

AP Statistics

AP Stat will cover Units 1-7, including the following: Exploring One-Variable Data; Exploring Two-Variable Data; Collecting Data; Probability, Random Variables, and Probability Distributions; Sampling Distributions; Inference for Categorical Data: Proportions; and Inference for Quantitative Data: Means. Units 8 and 9 will NOT be on the exam. Exam dates are May 22 at 2:00 p.m. EST or June 5 at 4:00 p.m. EST.

There will be two questions. Question 1 will be given 25 minutes to complete, making up 55% of the score. Question 2 will be given 15 minutes, making up 45%. Both questions may cover two or more of the following: Exploring Data; Sampling and Experimentation; Probability and Simulations; Inference.

AP US Government/AP Comparative Government

The U.S. Gov & Politics exam will be comprised of Units 1-3, which include the following: Foundations of American Democracy; Interactions Among Branches of Government; and Civil Liberties and Civil Rights. Units 4 and 5 will NOT be on the exam. Exam dates are May 11 at 4:00 p.m. EST or June 1 at 12:00 p.m. EST.

The exam will have two questions. Question 1 is an Argument Essay with 25 minutes to complete it, assessing the ability to create a defensible claim with supporting evidence. Question 2 will be concept application with 15 minutes to complete, assessing the ability to explain effects of a political institution, behavior, or process as well as apply course concepts to a new situation. Question 1 is worth 60% of the score, and 2 is worth 40%.

The Comparative Gov & Politics exam will be on Units 1-3, including the following topics: Political Systems, Regimes, and Governments; Political Institutions; and Political Culture and Participation. Units 4 and 5 will NOT be on the exam. Exam dates are May 22 at 12:00 p.m. EST or June 5 at 2:00 p.m. EST.

The exam will have two questions. Question 1 is an Argument Essay with 25 minutes to complete it, assessing the ability to create a defensible claim with supporting evidence. Question 2 will have 15 minutes to complete, covering Quantitative Analysis and assessing the ability to explain how the given data relates to political systems, processes, institutions, policies, or behaviors in a specific course country as well as how it demonstrates the same for two different course countries. Question 1 is worth 55% of the score, and 2 is worth 45%.

College Board prep materials can be found on MyAP as well as here (U.S.) and here (Comparative).

AP US History

The APUSH exam will cover Units 3-7, including the following: Period 3 1754–1800; Period 4 1800-1848; Period 5 1844-1877; Period 6 1865-1898; and Period 7 1890-1945. Units 1-2 and 8-9 will NOT be on the exam, although students are permitted to use evidence from Units 1-2 for context. Exam dates are May 15 at 2:00 p.m. EST or June 3 at 12:00 p.m. EST.