The student news site of Boyertown Area Senior High-Sponsored by Frederick Living

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

BASH Cub

Pokémon GO tournament held for first time in Boyertown

Randy Renninger also said students should aim to not do what he did, “Do your homework. Listen in class.”
    Uncredited

Pokémon GO, the augmented reality sensation that took the world by storm garnering over 1 billion downloads in only five years after its release, will be holding a tournament at the Boyertown YMCA in partnership with Building A Better Boyertown. Additionally this event will include vendors and a TCG tournament, one local vendor students may know is Deal Me In Games.

The event is being set up by two Boyertown graduates, Randy Renninger and Jake McCoach, who have been promoting it. They’re members of the North American e-sports organization which also hosts a Pokémon GO team called team Asylum.

The event entry requires registration will be $15 for competitors, $10 for spectators, and $5 for children 12 and under. It will begin around 10 A.M. and runs to 7 A.M. If you don’t care for Pokémon and the TCG is more your style, that will cost $10 and start an hour after the main event time, roughly  around 11 A.M. This event will also feature a match between streamers Speediest Chief and Battle Bill. Food can be bought as well.

People of any age can participate, but Randy Renninger has spoken of the benefits on young people an event like this can bring. “Camaraderie is healthy for young minds,” Randy explained in an interview with the Boyertown Area Expression. “Being part of a Pokémon team allows some kids to be included. Not everyone can play football or baseball, but they can play on Team Asylum from their home; even with a disability, they can be part of a team.”

Though this event in particular is new to Boyertown, the inclusion of E-sports activity into mainstream has been steadily gaining traction. Randy has also echoed these thoughts, speaking of how things have changed even with future career paths for people. “Young people can get scholarships to college by playing videogames. Just like in football, baseball, or basketball, colleges have teams of video game players. Players get paid to play.”

Whether you are an avid Pokémon GO player, a fan of the TCG, want to watch people you know, or just kill a couple hours, this event is something Boyertown students should definitely look into.