The student news site of Boyertown Area Senior High
Back to Article
Back to Article

Flyers hang on for 4-3 overtime win in St. Louis

Flyers' Jakub Voracek is greeted by teammates Sean Couturier and Michael Raffl after scoring the game winning goal in overtime as the Flyers beat the Blues 4-3 on Wednesday.

On Wednesday, the 25-16-6 Flyers took on a tough matchup against the 30-10-8 St. Louis Blues. The Flyers were coming off a big comeback win against the Boston Bruins on Monday night, while the Blues were coming in hot off of 4 straight wins. The Flyers prevailed in the matchup despite the Blues’ comeback attempt, leaving St. Louis with a 4-3 overtime win.

St. Louis got on the board first thanks to a power-play goal by Justin Faulk early in the 1st period. That would be the summary of the scoring for both teams in the 1st, as Philly trailed 1-0 at the first intermission.

After a quiet 1st period, the Flyers’ offense came to life, as Tyler Pitlick and Michael Raffl scored 3 minutes apart to put the Flyers up 2-1. This time, the Blues’ offense went silent, as the Flyers carried their 2-1 lead into the 3rd period.

To open the 3rd period, Travis Konecny scored 26 seconds in, giving the Flyers a 3-1 lead. However, the Blues made a late-game push, tying up the game at 3-3 with 2 goals by Ryan O’Reilly and Alexander Steen. That would send the game into overtime.

The Flyers’ last game saw them come back from down 5-2 against the Bruins to win the game in a shootout, and they aimed to avoid being on the other side of a similar fate at the hands of the Blues now. Jakub Voracek made sure the Flyers would get 2 points, netting the game winner, securing a 4-3 win over St. Louis.

Brian Elliot finished the night in place of Carter Hart with 30 saves and 3 goals allowed.

The Flyers take on the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday night.

BASH Cub • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in